What is the greatest reward of being alive? Is it chocolate, sex, ice cream, tropical vacations, hugs from children, a perfect night’s sleep, or the satisfaction of a job well done? A thousand people, a thousand different answers. But one supreme pleasure that spans all people is
Little can compare to the feeling of a deep, complete, heartfelt laughing spell. No matter your age, wealth, race, or living situation, life is good when laughter is frequent.
Life is also healthier. Research finds that humor can help you cope better with pain, enhance your immune system, reduce stress, even help you live longer. Laughter, doctors and psychologists agree, is an essential part of a healthy, happy life.
As Mark Twain once said, “Studying humor is like dissecting a frog — you may know a lot but you end up with a dead frog.” Nonetheless, we’re giving it a try. Here are some thoughts for getting — or growing — your sense of humor, based partly on the idea that you can’t be funny if you don’t understand what funny is.
1. First, regain your smile. A smile and a laugh aren’t the same thing, but they do live in the same neighborhood. Be sure to smile at simple pleasures — the sight of kids playing, a loved one or friend approaching, the successful completion of a task, the witnessing of something amazing or humorous. Smiles show that stress and the weight of the world haven’t overcome you. If your day isn’t marked by at least a few dozen, then you need to explore whether you are depressed or overly stressed.
2. Treat yourself to a comedy festival. Rent movies like Meet the Parents; Young Frankenstein; Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure; Monty Python and the Holy Grail; This Is Spinal Tap; Animal House; Blazing Saddles; Trading Places; Finding Nemo. Reward yourself often with the gift of laughter, Hollywood style.
3. Recall several of the most embarrassing moments in your life. Then find the humor in them. Now practice telling stories describing them in a humorous way. It might take a little exaggeration or dramatization, but that’s what good storytelling is all about. By revealing your vulnerable moments and being self-deprecating, you open yourself up much more to the humorous aspects of life.
4. Anytime something annoying and frustrating occurs, turn it on its head and find the humor. Sure, you can be angry at getting splashed with mud, stepping in dog poop, or inadvertently throwing a red towel in with the white laundry. In fact, that is probably the most normal response. But it doesn’t accomplish anything other than to put you in a sour mood. Better to find a way to laugh at life’s little annoyances. One way to do that: Think about it as if it happened to someone else, someone you like — or maybe someone you don’t. In fact, keep running through the Rolodex in your head until you find the best person you can think of to put in your current predicament. Laugh at him, then laugh at yourself!
5. Read the comics every day and cut out the ones that remind you of your life. Post them on a bulletin board or the refrigerator or anywhere else you can see them frequently.
6. Sort through family photographs and write funny captions or one-liners to go with your favorites. When you need a pick-me-up, pull out the album.
7. Every night at dinner, make family members share one funny or even embarrassing moment of their day.
8. When a person offends you or makes you angry, respond with humor rather than hostility. For instance, if someone is always late, say, “Well, I’m glad you’re not running an airline.” Life is too short to turn every personal affront into a battle. However, if you are constantly offended by someone in particular, yes, take it seriously and take appropriate action. But for occasional troubles, or if nothing you do can change the person or situation, take the humor response.
So with that in minded here are some ways to keep a Healthy Level of Insanity and yep I have done 25 of them. Have fun watching the reaction. LOL
1. Page yourself over the intercom. (Don’t disguise your voice.)
2. Find out where your boss shops and buy exactly the same outfits. Always wear them one day after your boss does. (This is
especially effective if your boss is a different gender than you are.)
3. Make up nicknames for all your coworkers and refer to them only by these names. “That’s a good point, Sparky”. “No I’m
sorry I’m going to have to disagree with you there, Sport.”
4. Send email to the rest of the company telling them what you’re doing. For example “If anyone needs me, I’ll be in the
5. Hi-lite” your shoes. Tell people that you haven’t lost your shoes since you did this.
6. While sitting at your desk, soak your fingers in “Palmolive.”
7. Put mosquito netting around your cubicle. Play a tape of jungle sounds all day.
8. Put a chair facing a printer, sit there all day and tell people you’re waiting for your document.
9. Every time someone asks you to do something, ask him or her if they want fries with that.
11. Send email to yourself engaging yourself in an intelligent debate about the direction of one of your company’s products.
Forward the mail to a co-worker and ask her to settle the disagreement.
12. Encourage your colleagues to join you in a little synchronized chair dancing.
13. Put your garbage can on your desk. Label it “IN.”
14. Develop an unnatural fear of staplers.
15. Decorate your office with pictures of Cindy Brady and Danny Partridge. Try to pass them off as your children.
16. Send e-mail messages saying free pizza, free donuts etc… in the lunchroom, when people complain that there was none…
Just lean back, pat your stomach, and say, “Oh you’ve got to be faster than that.”
17. Adjust the tint on your monitor so that the brightness level lights up the entire work area. Insist to others that you
like it that way.
18. Put decaf in the coffee maker for 3 weeks. Once everyone has gotten over his or her caffeine addiction, switch to
20. Reply to everything someone says with, “That’s what you think.”
21. Finish all your sentences with “in accordance with the prophecy.”
22. In the memo field of all your checks, write ‘for sexual favors’.
23. Ask people what sex they are. Laugh hysterically after they answer.
24. Specify that your drive-through order is ‘to go’.
25. Call the psychic hotline and don’t say anything.
26. At lunch time, sit in your parked car w/sunglasses on and point a hairdryer at passing cars. See if they slow down.
27. Five days in advance, tell your friends you can’t attend their party because you’re not in the mood.
28. Have your coworkers address you by your wrestling name, “Rock Hard.”
29. When the money comes out of the ATM, scream “I Won!”, “I Won!” “3rd time this week!!!”
30. When leaving the zoo, start running towards the parking lot, yelling “Run for your lives, they’re loose!”
31. Tell your children over dinner. “Due to the economy, we are going to have to let one of you go.”